Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

Tennessee Blogs

Frequently Used Tools:




Jun 10, 2009

Same Song, Second Verse


We returned yesterday afternoon from student orientation with our second and last child, Chelsea. Since it has only been two years since we went through this two day adventure the first time, I didn't expect it to be as exciting, and to be truthful, it wasn't. However, there is a lot of comfort in feeling like a veteran, and it was fun to watch Chelsea take on the role of college student. There is something about orientation that suddenly makes it all seem more real to the student. And being the social butterfly that she is, it was amazing to watch how easily she made new friends and how much she enjoyed it. I, on the other hand, would probably have stayed within my circle of friends I already knew. It takes me much longer to warm up to strangers than my daughter. It is one of many things I really admire about her. . .

My husband and mine's favorite part stayed the same -- the talk on the second morning by Tim Rogers, vice-president of academic affairs, concerning cutting the apron strings and life outside the classroom. While this had not changed very much at all, it was like an excellent sermon, something it surely didn't hurt us to hear twice! As a high school counselor, I always conjure up images of certain parents who would benefit the most from hearing his remarks. In fact, I toyed with the idea of asking him to come speak to my senior parents. He definitely has some wisdom to impart, so go and listen, and please don't adopt that "not my son" or "not my daughter" attitude. What he says applies to everyone.

One of the most unsettling things I overhead that morning was a mother say that she had made her son request dormitory "a" because she didn't want him near all the freshmen shananigans that would go on in dormitory "b." The man sitting next to her summed it up nicely when he said, "If he wants to find that type of behavior, he'll find it, regardless of where he is living."

You raised them for 18 or more years, parents, now is the time to sit back and see what took. Granted it may take a few years for the finished product to emerge, but like a butterfly whose cacoon is cut open, if you don't let them struggle a little, they won't be strong enough to survive.

• • •

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I will be taking my child to orientation next week - Any advice on a good place to stay???

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home