Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

Tennessee Blogs

Frequently Used Tools:




Mar 12, 2009

Feeling needed


It started when he was just an infant. If David was fussy in church, I would scratch his nearly bald (he was a blondie, after all) head and he would immediately settle down and fall asleep. As he grew older, this became part of the bedtime ritual, and as he grew to be a teenager, it happened less and less, but was still a good way to calm him down, cheer him up, or get him to talk about what was troubling him.

On Sunday night, I received a phone call that really, really tugged at my heartstrings. His stuffy voice returned my "hello" with "Well, tonight is one of those nights I really wish you'd been around to scratch my head." "What's the matter?" I quickly asked. Apparently, nothing of great significance; he just felt lousy and had a full week of tests and papers ahead of him. My emotions were mixed. I was thrilled that he still wanted a little mothering when he was down, and distraught that my hand couldn't reach the 170 something miles necessary to do so.

He amazed me by reading aloud his charted scheduled for the week, complete with little notes of inspiration at the bottom of each day, such as, "Spring break is only five days away. You can do it."

By Wednesday, when I talked to him again, he reported he was "feeling much better" and the school work was all falling into place. He didn't really need me, but it was nice that for a short period of time, he still wanted me.

• • •

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home